Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Conservative/Libertarian Coalition

Gxm--- I find your discussion of Conservative/Libertarian interesting and informative.  I agree with most if not all of your points.   While I agree, I must take issue with what I suppose the premise to be:  That Libertarians, and Conservatives, should join forces and in joining forces could be a force on the national stage.  While this might be the hope and dream of many of us, the fact is the Republican Party rules this roost.

I ask, how many Libertarians are there?  How many Libertarians vote?  How many Libertarians vote for their national candidate?  I suspect that in a national election most Libertarians vote Republican.

Assuming that most Libertarians vote Republican and the others vote for their candidate, what is the driving force that would tempt the Republican Party to more than tepidly court the Libertarians?  Nice to have them on board, but not worth a lot of effort.

One might reasonably say, Republicans should better spend time and treasure courting the Black vote.  Now this would be a true “black hole,” given that the present resident in the White House recently took something like 96 percent of the Black vote.  What about the large and growing Hispanic vote?  No way is it going in majority to Republicans.

What does that leave the Republicans?  Not much.

What does this leave Conservatives?  Even less.

1 comment:

gxm said...

“I suspect that in a national election most Libertarians vote Republican.”

You are correct but I don’t think this is necessarily a problem. In fact many libertarians choose to run as Republicans because it is easier to get elected. Ron Paul is an example. If Peter Schiff runs for Senator in CT he will be another. I personally have voted for the Libertarian candidate for president in a number of elections. Did I this time? No I didn’t. I simply was too worried that someone like our current commander in chief would get elected.

I am hoping for a coalition of all libertarians and conservatives no matter what party they are in. The reason isn’t necessarily to get huge absolute numbers right now. What I hope for is a reasonably large core of folks that will push for the reestablishment of the Constitution as the center of American jurisprudence. You need some focus on that to thwart the cultural Marxists. If true conservatives and libertarians won’t do this then who will?